Emergency: How to Deal with a Fire in the Kitchen
Learn how to suppress the flames and enjoy your dinner.
Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. A simple grease fire can escalate quickly, spreading to surrounding cabinets and engulfing the kitchen or the entire house. Help protect your home, your loved ones and your belongings with these tips for putting out a grease fire:
- Never use water to extinguish a grease or oil fire. And never try to move a flaming pan outside.
- If the fire is in the oven, turn it off and keep the oven door closed. Watch the oven until the flames die down.
- If grease or cooking oil on the stove catches fire, immediately slide a lid over the pan to smother the flame. Be sure to wear an oven mitt when handling the pan.
- Next, turn off the heat and slide the pan off the burner. To prevent the fire from restarting, keep the pan covered until the contents cool.
- If this doesn’t work, you can use a fire extinguisher marked Class B or K for oil or grease. Stand away from the fire and aim for over the flames. Keep in mind, the kitchen will have to be cleaned thoroughly as the chemicals will contaminate your kitchen.
- If the pan overflows and the contents ignite and are out of control, get everyone out of the house and call the fire department once you’re safely outside.